Back pain is one of the most common ailments that people experience, and it can affect anyone at any age. In fact, it is estimated that up to 80% of adults will experience back pain at some point in their lives. While back pain can be caused by a variety of factors, understanding the most common causes can help you prevent or manage it.
In New York City, Dr. Charla Fischer is a spine surgeon who specializes in the treatment of back pain. She explains that the most common causes of back pain are:
- Poor Posture: Poor posture can put a lot of strain on the muscles and ligaments in your back, leading to pain and discomfort. Sitting for long periods of time, hunching over your computer or phone, or carrying heavy bags can all contribute to poor posture.
- Overuse or Injury: Overuse or injury can cause strain or sprain in the muscles or ligaments in your back. This can be caused by repetitive activities such as lifting heavy objects or playing sports, or by sudden movements that cause injury.
- Herniated Disc: A herniated disc is a condition in which one of the discs in your spine bulges or ruptures, putting pressure on the nerves in your back and causing pain.
- Spinal Stenosis: Spinal stenosis is a condition in which the spaces within your spine narrow, putting pressure on the nerves and causing pain.
- Osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease that can affect the joints in your back, causing pain and stiffness.
Preventing back pain starts with maintaining a healthy lifestyle that includes regular exercise, maintaining a healthy weight, and avoiding smoking. If you do experience back pain, conservative treatments such as physical therapy, medication, or chiropractic care can often help. In more severe cases, surgery may be necessary.
If you are experiencing back pain, it is important to seek the advice of a qualified spine specialist like Dr. Charla Fischer in New York City, who can help determine the cause of your pain and recommend the best course of treatment for your specific condition. With her expertise in the latest minimally invasive spine surgery techniques, Dr. Fischer can provide you with the best care possible to help you recover and enjoy a pain-free life.